The Active School Flag (ASF) is a Department of Education and Skills initiative which seeks to recognise schools that strive to achieve a physically educated and physically active school community. The ASF initiative is open to Primary, Post Primary, Special Schools and Youthreach Centres to apply.
In order to be awarded the Active School Flag, schools must:
- Provide the correct PE timetable provision as per DES Guidelines
- Inform and invite the whole school community to participate in the ASF process
- Commit to a process of self-evaluation and review current provision across 15 areas
- Plan and implement improvements that will enhance PE and physical activity provision for all students
The initiative encourages a partnership approach. It empowers schools to become more proactive in approaching groups like National Governing Bodies (NGBs), Local Sports Partnerships (LSPs), the HSE, Education Centres and the Professional Development Services for Teachers (PDST) to help and support them to develop their PE programmes and to promote physical activity.
For further information see www.activeschoolflag.ie
* Each year in May there is an Active Schools Week and SDCSP would be delighted to hear from schools on how they plan to or would like to get involved. In 2015 SDCSP offered primary schools free orienteering sessions in the local parks.